There are several buildings in the town of Sellersville that are of historical interest, having been built in the early days when it was first established and restored or renovated in more recent times to become prolific landmarks in the area. These include the Teller Cigar Factory – which was also known as the Sprecht Clothing Company – whose significance was officially recognized in 1987 when it was placed on the list for the National Register of Historic Places. This historic factory building was originally built in 1866 then expanded in 1895 and has come to represent the transition of the cigar industry as it changed from a smaller home manufacturing operation to a much larger manufacturing set-up in industrially designed facilities. The original structure consisted of a two and a half story, stone building however an additional extension of the same size and design was used to expand the facility towards the end of the century. The original plastered surfaces and gabled roofs are still preserved on this large building which was 10 bays wide and 4 bays deep and due to its vast size this was used as a warehouse for a local plumbing and heating Supply Company later in the 20th century.
One of the most well-known historical buildings in town has to be what is now called the Sellersville Theater which also has links with the Washington House, another original structure of significance that dates back to the town’s early development. The latter was initially a small farmhouse that stood on the ancient Lenni Lenape trail until it was purchased in the late 1700’s by Samuel Sellers who transformed it into a large tavern, consisting of a hotel and saloon bar, with adjoining building that was used as a stable livery. The tavern building also served as the town’s first Post office and as a stagecoach stop for travelers making the long journey between Bethlehem and Philadelphia. This was in fact how the town got its original name of Sellers Tavern and in 1985 the building was purchased by William Quigley and Elayne Brick who lovingly restored the venue transforming it into what has become one of the most prestigious restaurants in the area today. In addition, they also were responsible for creating one of the area’s most prominent centers for arts and entertainment when they renovated the old movie marque which had was converted from the stable building and originally opened its doors to residents back in 1864. In the 1950’s this structure saw further changes when Mr. Bernard Haines purchased the property and converted it into the “Selvil Theater”, which was the only movie house in the area. During the renovation process, he had all the outside walls plastered and painted however eagle-eyed visitors today can still see the original stone arches showing through the plaster at ground level.
Today, the theatre has proved to be a vital stop for anyone participating in the East Coast concert circuit not least due to the phenomenal quality of sound that it offers combined with the up-close feel of all performances held here. This intimate venue specializes in providing an impressive albeit eclectic mix of top performance artists as well as showcasing some excellent new talent.